Response to Re: List Management - RESPONSE

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Sat Mar 16 07:51:02 2002

At 09:30 PM 3/15/2002 +0000, Sellam Ismail wrote:
>You may HOST the list, and you may MANAGE the operations of the list. But
>it is not your list. At this point, it is OUR list, "our" being the
>subscribers of the list. I don't want you to be the one to decide solely
>how it is run. I, for one, would like some input on issues. I (try) to
>enjoy the list as do others. If something bothers me about it (off-topic
>posts, spam) I'm going to bitch about it.

I've always considered people who host lists to be an unusual
and saintly sort. The best are competent, benevolent dictators.
Any two of those components without the third tend to stink
up the room. Anyone is free to host their own list, and it
gets easier every day with places like Yahoo's lists.

As Tony said, it's all about the information. If list archives
are preserved, and if info gets easier to find over time, does
it matter where the good info is?

- John