list problems

From: Jay West <jwest_at_classiccmp.org>
Date: Sat Mar 16 19:18:14 2002

What timing *sigh*

I just noticed this morning that there is a rather severe problem with both our primary and secondary mail servers for the classiccmp.org domain. I must admit with much chagrin that it appears to be one of a set of changes that I made a week or two ago, but only manifested itself this morning. I am not sure of exactly which change caused the problem, but I have been working on it all day and will continue to do so till the problem is fixed.

Symptoms - inbound connections from remote mail servers experience a long delay after the connection is made before sendmail acknowledges the connection. Most of the time the mail goes through, but the long pause bothers me. Other times the remote mail server times out, and retries later, but gets through. As a result, it appears that mail is going through but is significantly delayed. The error message is the typical "timeout waiting for..... during client greeting". No, the problem is definitely not reverse DNS (ident) or low level network related - the typical causes for that problem.

I will post to the list once the problem is resolved, unless I choose to finally get some sleep.

Jay