HP 2100/21MX emulator

From: Jay West <jwest_at_classiccmp.org>
Date: Sun Mar 17 12:07:28 2002

My work on the emulator for the HP2100 and 21MX computer systems (and all applicable peripherals and interface cards) is reaching a point soon where I would like to solicit someone to help me with compilation testing on various unix platforms. I am doing the development and testing on FreeBSD, so of course I know it will work there. I am hoping that some list members can provide me with remote access to different unix platforms so I can make sure that it will compile correctly. I would like to make sure it will work on Sun, Linux, and HP-UX as well. I have access to quite a few HP-UX machines, but not Linux or Sun. Being a staunch FreeBSD bigot, I have no desire to install Linux myself. The emulator depends heavily on the implementation of fork(), execl(), and SYSV IPC mechanisms such as message queues. I have heard that there are some differences in the implementation of fork() on Linux for example.

At the outset I wanted very badly to allow it to work on DOS/Windows platforms, but later in the design phase it became apparent for a variety of reasons that this simply isn't feasible, unless someone knows of a way to use SYSV IPC stuff there.

If anyone can allow me remote access to these type of machines, please contact me offlist.

Regards,

Jay West