DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: ajp166 <ajp166_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun Mar 17 12:51:12 2002

From: Douglas Quebbeman <dhquebbeman_at_theestopinalgroup.com>

>> IIRC the Floppy on an Altos 580 is DSQD.
>
>Am I correct that while different from standard
>DSDD, they are *not* GCR drives?

DSQD generally means 80 track two sided drives such as
TEAC FD55F or G and double density encoding. Typically
they store around 800k.

FYI that can mean hard or softsectored as that is controller
not drive dependent.

>What other machines might carry these drives, can I
>hook one up to a standard PC controller in a box
>running DOS, and then duplicate the disks?

Kaypro with Advent turborom, AmproLB, Micromint SB180
to name a few.

>This is good to know, ST225s still pop up from time to time...

St225, ST251 and related drives are fairly common.

Allison