DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Sun Mar 17 13:37:22 2002

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 Innfogra_at_aol.com wrote:
> > DSDD, they are *not* GCR drives?
> I don't think they are GCR but someone more knowledgeable than I will have to
> answer that. My understanding is that they are the same as a 360 drive with a
> head that is half the width so they can deal with 80 tracks instead of 40.
Correct

> > What other machines might carry these drives, can I
> > hook one up to a standard PC controller in a box
> > running DOS, and then duplicate the disks?
> The answer to this is yes. For many years I kept an IBM PC (8088) clone with
> DSDD, DSQD drives and my EPROM programmer. IIRC I used the 3 1/2 inch 720K
> disk driver for the DSQD and it worked for my purposes of making disks for
> various systems. I used Media Master (sorry Fred) and PCDOS 3.3.

No offense taken; Mark is a good guy, and it was a good product.
MOST of the folk in that particular software specialty treated each other
as "COLLEAGUES", rather than as "COMPETITORS". (Like Dentists)

--
Fred Cisin                      cisin_at_xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com