DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Innfogra_at_aol.com <(Innfogra_at_aol.com)>
Date: Sun Mar 17 12:16:01 2002

In a message dated 3/17/02 9:22:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dhquebbeman_at_theestopinalgroup.com writes:

> Am I correct that while different from standard
> DSDD, they are *not* GCR drives?

I don't think they are GCR but someone more knowledgeable than I will have to
answer that. My understanding is that they are the same as a 360 drive with a
head that is half the width so they can deal with 80 tracks instead of 40.

> What other machines might carry these drives, can I
> hook one up to a standard PC controller in a box
> running DOS, and then duplicate the disks?

The answer to this is yes. For many years I kept an IBM PC (8088) clone with
DSDD, DSQD drives and my EPROM programmer. IIRC I used the 3 1/2 inch 720K
disk driver for the DSQD and it worked for my purposes of making disks for
various systems. I used Media Master (sorry Fred) and PCDOS 3.3.

Many systems of the MPM era used DSQDs, some single user computers like the
Kaypro 4, too.

The Intel 310s used DSQDs also. This is where most of mine came from. I still
have a few 310s and DSQDs.

Paxton
Astoria, OR