DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Sun Mar 17 14:44:34 2002

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Joe wrote:
> > So, this means I can make disks from image with a vanilla 5.25 1.2M
> >drive, on a Linux box, right?
> That MIGHT work but I don't recommend it. The 1.2M drive has
> compatibility problesm with the 360k drives and it has the sme compatility
> problems with the QD drive.
Actually, it is NOT the sme compatility, (nor the same compatability :-)
problems. The big problem with 360K in 1.2M is the head width. THAT is
OK for "QD". But there can be some problems sometimes with trying to do
"QD" with 1.2M, since sometimes it can be difficult to get it to switch
density without also switching into "double-stepping" mode.
[Note: I'm not really trying to ridicule you about the spelling - at the
last Computer Faire and one year at Comdex, our sign maker
ignored the supplied disk file and delivered our signs saying:
"End disk format incompatility!"]

> You need a drive that's designed for QD and
> you need QD disks if at all possible. QD disk have the same coercivity
> (SP?) as 360k disks and 1.2M disks use a different coercivity.
Correct spelling. 360K (AND "QD") is 300 Oerstedts; 1.2M is 600
Oerstedts.

> Assuming I have DSDD floppies and use the
> >correct device (/dev/fd0D720) with dd?
> > Alternatively, is there any reason I couldn't temporarily move the
> >drive itself to a PC to build the disks?
> That should work as long as the PC understands the file structure. You
Pretty EXTREME assumption! Not much besides CP/M,MP/M understands CP/M
file system and DIRectory structure.

> may need to use 22disk or something similar that understands the Altos
> structure.
or Media Master, or Uniform, or "certain others"

That "file structure" IS CP/M. MP/M is a variant in terms of OS
operations, with the same file system structures as CP/M. 'Course there
are a few thousand different CP/M disk formats.

--
Fred Cisin                      cisin_at_xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com