DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 17 14:11:34 2002

At 01:20 PM 3/17/02 -0600, Doc wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Marvin Johnston wrote:
>

>> I just took a look at the docs for the Series 5 Altos computers and
>> there is a repair ticket for a Mitsubishi M4853 Disk Drive. The floppy
>> disk summary docs indicate that drive is a 5.25, HH, 720K, 96 TPI drive.
>
> So, this means I can make disks from image with a vanilla 5.25 1.2M
>drive, on a Linux box, right?

   That MIGHT work but I don't recommend it. The 1.2M drive has
compatibility problesm with the 360k drives and it has the sme compatility
problems with the QD drive. You need a drive that's designed for QD and
you need QD disks if at all possible. QD disk have the same coercivity
(SP?) as 360k disks and 1.2M disks use a different coercivity.

 Assuming I have DSDD floppies and use the
>correct device (/dev/fd0D720) with dd?
> Alternatively, is there any reason I couldn't temporarily move the
>drive itself to a PC to build the disks?

   That should work as long as the PC understands the file structure. You
may need to use 22disk or something similar that understands the Altos
structure.

    Joe