MV-II Diags & Customer Diags

From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl_at_proxima.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun Mar 17 18:01:06 2002

> Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:28:11 -0600 (CST)
> From: Doc Shipley <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
> To: Classic Computers <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
> Subject: MV-II Diags & Customer Diags
> Sender: owner-classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
>
> I've aquired a copy of each:
>
> MVII DIAG MAINT TK50 AQ-GM5AN-DN
> MV DIAG CUST TK50 AQ-GL5AP-DN
>
> I'm going to try using dd to generate an image for duplication
> tonight. If I can make a bootable duplicate from the image, and if
> there are no licensing issues, I'll make the images available. Any
> interest or comments?

Speaking as someone who did this many years ago (duplicated MV DIAG TK50)
it is not a simple dd job. You have to copy the entire structure of
the tape, which is something like

Repeat section between [ ] as many times as there are files on the tape.
Each header and trailer block is (I think) 80 bytes, and there are
FileMarks at the end of each and every header, trailer, and contents.

    carl