DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 18 08:01:11 2002

--- Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com> wrote:
> I must admit I got no clue what an "Oerstedt" is. Or why I need to
> know....

Let's put it this way... it's another physical measurement of the
diskettes you want to use. Let's say someone from Europe told you
that you needed to use (and I'm approximating here) 133mm disks.
It's just another physical parameter. Mixing up 300 Oerstedt media
with 360 Oerstedt media is akin to wanting a 3" disk and trying to
use a 3.5" disk. The largest difference in that case is that you
can hold up the two sizes of disks and see plainly that one is not
identical to the other. With the wrong media coercitivity (but the
proper physical media size), it *looks* like it should work, but
when you go back for you data, it might not be there.

-ethan