DSQD Drives (Was: RE: Diags/Boot image for Altos 580)

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Sun Mar 17 23:21:23 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Tony Duell wrote:

> Which bits in particular are you having problems with? Much of this
> doesn't matter for your problem (because by your good luck everything is
> compatible), but you might want to understand it all anyway.

  Why it was germane to the issue at hand? I understand, at least
generally, the mechanics and relative formats of the drives and disks
involved, but the ongoing discussion was getting me to think there were
issues that I was completely missing.
  I must admit I got no clue what an "Oerstedt" is. Or why I need to
know....

> > Will the 1.2M drive write reliable QD disks? Note that I said "write
> > reliable" not "reliably write". Several tries is no biggie.
>
> Yes, it should be able to. But if you're in doubt, but can make a disk
> which works (albeit that it might go unreliable in a month's time), just
> back it up on the target machine.

  Standard Operating Procedure.

> When I transfered some LS-DOS disk images to physical disks for my TRS-80
> Model 4, I had to write them on an 80 cylinder drive (the 1.2M drive on
> this PC). I then backed them up to genuine 40 cylinder disks on the Model
> 4. Incidentally, I've never had any real problems writing TRS-80 40 or 80
> cylinder images on a PC.

  Kewl. I'm gonna have one someday. A TRS-80, that is.

        Doc