MV-II Diags Chapter 3

From: Doc Shipley <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Mon Mar 18 15:15:30 2002

  WooHoo! Working copies of both the Maintenance & Customer
diagnostic tapes!

  I'm almost ashamed of the way I got it done -- classic Unix "go with
what you know" low-tech. I'm also not convinced the originals are
reliable, but I am convinced I got true copies of them.

  The TKZ50-GA doesn't read the old tapes well at all, so I ended up
doing the rips on the MV-II itself. The TUHS "cptape" utility, which
copies each file from tape to disk and records blocksize for each file,
extracted both tapes without error on the MV.
  So I've got the contents of the tape on disk, with 2/3 of the files
having a blocksize of 80. The TUHS maketape doesn't know anything but
N*512 blocksizes, so that's out, and the tape has to have a TapeMark at
each file, so I can't just cat 'em all into a single file. I tried
setting blocksize to 0 (variable) and running a dd loop, but the drive
pukes with an "Undefined error" fairly quickly. So I just made a script
that uses mt to set the blocksize every time it changes, and dd each
file to tape. All 172 files. I couldn't remember how to compare file
sizes in a test statement, so no loops. Bah!.

  It's the Kludge from Hell, but it works. Anybody with a Unix system &
a TK<whatever> oughta be able to use it.
  The 2 tarballs are about 1.5MB each. Assuming you have a license to
use it, I see no reason not to help replace your media. :^)

        Doc