MV-II Diags Chapter 3

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Tue Mar 19 09:55:26 2002

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Doc Shipley wrote:
> > So I've got the contents of the tape on disk, with 2/3 of the files
> > having a blocksize of 80.
>

> BTW, those are VMS/ANSI file header and end-of-file blocks.

  Nice to know. I had looked at them with od, then with more when I
found out they don't bite. Now I know what they're called, too.

> Well, get your sed/awk book out from the den or RTFM. (Sed
> is so cool, I never need Perl if I have sed, awk and a bourne
> shell.) But everyone accoring to his taste.

  sed & awk is the Spring Training Project.

> Only I have to bark at that mt blocksize hack. That isn't
> necessary. All you need is dd! Dd really is your friend with
> the ability to set the input (ibs) and output (obs) block size
> differently (or all the same, bs).
>
> The obs determines the block size written to tape:
>
> dd if=file.01 of=/dev/nrmt0 bs=80

  Tried that first off. I'm still not sure why it didn't work. I kind
of suspect that dd was overrunning the TK50, and the mt commands allow
the drive itself to set the pace?

> 1.5 MB? Mine was 5.5 MB and I have 255 files. What are you missing?

  The *tarball* is 5.5M? I don't know, but I got no errors and the "end
of tape" message from cptape on both source tapes. What version Diags
do you have?
  My tapes are labelled:

MVII DIAG MAINT TK50 AQ-GM5AN-DN
MV DIAG CUST TK50 AQ-GL5AP-DN

  This email account can handle large attachments, if you want to send
yours over for comparison.

        Doc