Disassembling a Vaxstation 2000

From: Christopher Smith <csmith_at_amdocs.com>
Date: Tue Mar 19 12:28:18 2002

I wonder how long it would last if you actually had
to open the thing to lube the bearings anyway.. :)

> other issues. Fails a TEST 71 (disk verification
> test). Attempting to BOOT using DUA0 as default has it

You could try formatting it, then verifying. I'm not
sure if that will make a difference. The format
command is some other test (72?) which I don't
really remember the number for...

> making a quiet buzzing noise for a few seconds...
> then, tries to boot from ESA0, gives a ?54 RETRY,
> tries ESA0 again, etc... Haven't quite gotten around

Well, that part is normal. :) If the first device
doesn't work, it will switch through the devices in
a certain order until it gets to ESA0 at the end.

> to setting up a network for it. (Could also be doing
> something wrong, too - never had a chance to work with
> any VAXen prior to this.)

Sounds ok. Incidentally, it really will take just about
any "MFM" drive you can stuff in there. You'll just
need to re-format it.

> Thanks again for everything - you both made things
> really easy. :)

No problem. 2000s are really nice little machines.
I'm glad to seep people (besides me) still using
them.

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'