list changes & RFC on archives & rack chassis

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 20 12:13:14 2002

I've noticed that comments made years back, and more recently, on the list,
appear in various searches I've run on GOOGLE. This certainly is a place
where the email addresses of the list and the parties appearing in the post
are accessible. What can be done to put a stop to that?

Also, the fact that these items come up in searches certainly makes it
important that the subject line be the actual subject of the post. There have
been plenty of posts with a title of (just as an example) "MV2000 PSU" that
are 20 posts down the road from the last even remotely related item. If every
post to the list with that title produces a hit for the search engines looking
for MV2000, I'd bet they get a lot of spambot fodder from that. What's more,
if you want your posts to be locatable by the search engines, it certainly
doesn't help that the discussion topic wanders under a completely irrelvant
title.

Perhaps the solution would be to purge the email addresses before items are
posted to the list.

The HTML filter would certainly be a good idea. Once people realize their
HTML posts don't find their way to distribution, they'll take the 1 second to
turn that feature off.

Dick