list changes & RFC on archives & rack chassis

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Wed Mar 20 21:24:50 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Jay West wrote:

> 1) Ok, here are the two things I was considering doing to change the mailing
> list settings....
>
> A) Reject posts to the list which contain any kind of HTML content. I think
> this would be fairly unobtrusive - most people don't want HTML posts here
> anyways. And - I would bet that most all SPAM contains some form of HTML, so
> this might not get rid of all SPAM forever, but I think it would make the
> very few that come here dwindle to even less. Comments?

  I like it.
  However. It ain't enough.
  I agree with the rest that it would be better if our email addresses
weren't so obvious in the archives.
  I also don't think I like the instructions at:
    http://www.classiccmp.org/majordomo-help.txt
in Section V. on how to harvest a complete contact list.

> B) I also like the 'self-policing' idea of making posts to the list from
> non-subscribers get a subject tag of [OL] or something like that. This one I
> am not sure how to do off the top of my head, but would think it pretty
> straightforward. Comments?

  I'm OK with that. I might also suggest an alternative; put a link on
the website to a dedicated "offers" address that propagates immediately
to the web-page. That would exempt prospective donors from whatever
filtering we do on the list. Interested members could check that page.

> 2) WRT the archives at www.classiccmp.org

  My favorite list software is ezmlm, but it's qmail-only (barf). As I
said last week, I'll do anything I can to help with any solution you
choose.

        Doc

P.S. -- I have a 4U Aspen Alpine you can have. 275mHz 21064 Alpha.
Big, noisy bastard.

        Doc