[OT name calling]Re: IBM PPC Laptop on eBay

From: Robert Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Fri Mar 22 06:14:23 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne M. Smith" <wmsmith_at_earthlink.net>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 02:35 AM
Subject: Re: IBM PPC Laptop on eBay

> > No pickup, no questions, ships whenever he gets around to it,
> > I couldn't see one reason why I would want to do business with this
schmuck.
> > It's too bad, I would have liked to bid on it, but anyone who won't
allow a
> > local pickup (even if I can't take advantage of it) I absolutely won't
do
> > business with. <insert rant here> Stupid sellers.
>
> I can certainly see why someone would prefer not to have complete
strangers come to their house to pick up items. Unless I was
> selling a really large item where the postage would exceed, let's say
$50.00, I see no compelling reason to allow people I don't
> know to come to my house. I have two small daughters at home (3 and 7),
and live in a somewhat isolated area, so why should I do
> anything that even marginally jeopardizes their safety? Sure, I may be
paranoid, but a schmuck? Get serious.

If it was just $50, I wouldn't care either. But 5 bills is enough that I
want to be reasonably sure that I'll get what the auction claims. After a
few seconds of browsing his me page, it appears that the only interaction I
can have with the seller is to a) bid or b) not bid. If it was _only_
no-pickup, well, that's only one minus, but I can't even call him to see if
I can arrange to see it somewhere else or to ask him if it boots. The only
plus for this auction was the item itself. I maintain schmuck.

FWIW, I have two daughters too-- one 16 months and one five months.

Bob