many-platform LAN connectivity...

From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat Mar 23 23:54:38 2002

>I currently have 5 NeXT cubes, 1 NeXT Color Turbo slab, 16 Windows
>machines (2 Win2k, 1 XP Pro, 2 NT 4.0, 9 Win98SE, 1 Win95, 1 WFWG 3.11),
>5 Mac's (Perf 631CD, Quadra 800, PM 6100, PM7100 running MkLinux, Mac
>Classic), 2 Sparc 5's, 1 Sparc IPC, 1 Sgi Indy, 1 Tandy 1000SX, 1 BeBox,
>4 Linux boxes and 1 Canon object.station hooked on my home network. All
>but the object.station (SCSI card problem) are up and running. I
>suppose it's sinking to the lowest common denominator, but I'm using
>Windows compatible networking (SMB), running Dave on the Mac's and Samba
>on everything else to tie them all together. The only machine that
>doesn't use TCP/IP is the Classic. It's set up on Ethertalk with a SCSI
>to 10BT converter. The Localtalk printers are accessed using Services
>for Macintosh on the Win2k and NT servers linked through an Asante
>EtherTalk bridge. I'm playing with some NFS clients for Windows, Mac and
>Be so I could use NFS on the Unix boxes and dump Samba, but Samba is
>still working very well. The only flaky problam I've had with Samba has
>been on the dual 133 BeBox. It's running BeOS R4.5 and Samba doesn't
>seem real stable on 4.5.

        I considered NFS and Samba but will likely go with Appletalk
for those machines that support it and FTP to/from the Linux 'box'
for those machines that don't. Since I don't have any physical
Windows machines, I'm not really interested in doing anything
Windows-specific, though that could come later. Since 5 of the
machines already have Appletalk available, that seems like a good
starting point and Windows can be made to speak Appletalk by
installing PC MacLAN. It would appear that VMS can also do
Appletalk with the correct software. If I went the NFS route, I
could get something like MacNFS for the two PowerMac's.

        Jeff
--
                           Home of the TRS-80 Model 2000 FAQ File
                                         http://www.cchaven.com