ZX81 and 6116

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Mon Mar 25 11:35:22 2002

> > > Pete, what modifications to the board are required in order to use a
> > > 6116?

> > I don't have either the service manual or my ZX81 handy, so
> > I can't check, but as far as I remember, just remove the
> > 4118 and replace with a 6116.

That's right. If the socket is there ...

> > There might be a wire link to change (if so, it's obvious) but I don't
> > remember having to do that.

> There are no links on the board for different memory configurations.

I think Pete is right here. there was a wire you had to add if
you used a 4118 (or 6116) instead of the 2114s. I have to grab
the kit documentation to veryfy this.

> > A few ZX81's had a pair of 2114's instead of the normal 4118, which were
> > in short supply at one time, but the same principle applies (the PCB is
> > the same).

> I read that using the 2114s saved Uncle Sir Clive 25p per unit.

In fact, all of the 81s I opened back then had 2114s.

And now for something totaly different:

Digging thru my ZX Stuff I found an _original_ "ZX81 2-K RAM" Kit *G*

Well, it is at least original over here, since it has been sold by ISS,
the official distributor of ZX81 stuff in Germany.

The kit konsists of a 24 pin socket and a NEC D446C-2 RAM

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 3.0 am 27./28. April 2002 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/