ZX81 and 6116

From: Glen Goodwin <acme_ent_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Mar 22 22:51:50 2002

> From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>

> > Pete, what modifications to the board are required in order to use a
> 6116?
>
> I don't have either the service manual or my ZX81 handy, so I can't
check,
> but as far as I remember, just remove the 4118 and replace with a 6116.

I'll check it out.

> There might be a wire link to change (if so, it's obvious) but I don't
> remember having to do that.

There are no links on the board for different memory configurations.

> It is good practice to fit a socket, though.

I always do when I replace an unsocketed IC on a ZX81.

> A few ZX81's had a pair of 2114's instead of the normal 4118, which were
> in short supply at one time, but the same principle applies (the PCB is
the
> same).

I read that using the 2114s saved Uncle Sir Clive 25p per unit. I've also
noticed that on the earlier boards all the ICs were socketed, but the later
ones were spotty, socket-wise. Typical Sinclair chintziness.

Glen
0/0