Unix disk images and archiving

From: James L. Rice <jrice_at_texoma.net>
Date: Mon Mar 25 12:09:06 2002

Jeff, after I emailed you my answer last night, I was thinking that you
should be able to just "dd" the images to a files:

dd if=/dev/<insert device here> of=/tmp/name-of-image-file.here

I create floppy images by:

dd if=/dev/rfd0b of=/tmp/3.3_Mot_Boot_Disk.floppyimage

You should be able to do the same for the OD images. It takes about 5
minutes to create a floppyimage (1.44mb) on my Turbo Slab, so the
process won't be fast on a whole 256mb OD. You may have to create a
disktab entry for the Pinnacle Micro Optical Drive, but I've got a Jaz
and a Zip working on my Slab, so I'm sure it's very doable.