My VMS Conundrums... [long - multiple replies]

From: pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com <(pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com)>
Date: Mon Mar 25 21:41:54 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Roger Merchberger wrote:

> Rumor has it that pat_at_cart-server.purdueriots.com may have mentioned these
> words:
> >On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> >
> >> I've tried 'help' but there are a lot of things that *just* *won't* *run*
> >> whatsoever, including [but not limited to] every text editor I've tried,
> >> because I can't figure out how to get the terminal screen configured...
> >> which (of course, with my luck) 'help' either 1) doesn't tell me, or 2) has
> >> obfuscated it *so* badly that I won't have a chance in Hades of ever
> >> finding it there...
> >
> >If you have an ANSI terminal (or a vtXXX) hooked up to it, all you need to
> >do is 'set term/ansi'. If you're using a framebuffer monitor, I think
> >you're outa luck, both myself and a guy I know that worked for DEC either
> >can't figure it out or have deemed it impossible to do ANSI emulation on
> >those things (or anything useful). My suggestion is to try and get it to
> >work with a text-terminal first.
>
> Well, I've rescued a Wyse sumthinorother terminal, unknown condition but
> with an RJ-11 interface for the keyboard, and over the winter, I've finally
> found an RJ11-based Wyse keyboard... but with the move, I've not had time
> to actually test it... let alone I don't have a serial adapter that will
> work for it (or at least I'm not sure...) so that's something else I'd have
> to do...

Of course, you could also just use a PeeCee (or perhaps a classic box)
with an ANSI compatible terminal emulator- minicom for *nix or CRT for
windows works pretty well. Once you get decwindows up and running, you
can start 'terminal sessions' (like xterms) that'll do the terminal
emulation so you can use a full-screen editor.

Also there are other DECW$*.COM files that go with decwindows in
SYS$MANAGER: that may be helpful.

-- Pat