Unix disk images and archiving

From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Mar 25 21:33:22 2002

>Let me know how connecting the PM 1.3gb goes. Getting the Jaz up
>was "fun". I've passed on several PM 1.3gb drives before, if it
>works, it might be fun getting one next time. I have just installed
>a Pinnacle Micro CDR drive on my #1 cube. I'm going to try burning
>a few "coasters" on the cube. I'll let you know how it goes.

        I plugged the Pinnacle Sierra up to the Cube and it mounted
both DOS and Mac formatted disk without a problem and I was able to
read files and such off of them easily. So far attampts at
initializing them have failed though, even using 'disk -i /dev/rsd1a'
to try to initialize the raw device. The system retrieves all of the
info but errors out, making the disk unreadable. All of my 3M disks
are 512bytes/sector vice 1024...could this be a problem for NeXTstep?
I didn't have to modify the disktab file for it to recognize the
drive/media.

        Jeff
--
                           Home of the TRS-80 Model 2000 FAQ File