AMD am7960

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Tue Mar 26 16:27:26 2002

Rumor has it that Doc may have mentioned these words:
>On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Roger Merchberger wrote:
>>
>> That's why I saved a few cards & the hub: just never know when Ethernet's
>> too fast, and won't go far enough...
>
> I can answer the first part right now... never.

I understand that might be true for you, but I don't think I'd ever get my
CoCos to run even 10Mbit, but it might be able to sustain 2.5Mbit, depends
on the buffers on the card, and whatnot...

I do have a few 8-bit T-C ArcNet cards stashed away, just for the purpose
of experimentation... ;-)

>> Search for "Thomas-Conrad" IIRC - they were a *big* maker of ArcNet
>> equipment...
>
> My first network was a set of T-C ArcNet cards & hub somebody gave me.
>The 2.5Mbit vs. 10Mbit comparison is horribly misleading. IIRC, the
>speed ratio between ArcNet & 10B2 was more like 1/10.

Beats the heck out of 9600... especially 1/2km away. I'm thinking of
integrating this into a remote sensing platform, if wireless data
communication is not feasable (say, underground??? Eventually I want to
build a "beer bunker" an underground beer / wine / foodstuffs cellar,
computer controlled for "atmospheric sensing" and maybe controlling some
vents...

It should be ready for sale by the year 2060. ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
Recycling is good, right???  Ok, so I'll recycle an old .sig.