AMD am7960

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Tue Mar 26 16:40:46 2002

It is, indeed, it's not yet standardized, but it's certainly functional. It's
cabling and connectors that are holding up the works. They're even running
(testing) it on coax. I'd be happy to get it to work at all at that high
rate. That would be PERFECT for SCSI over IP. Finally I'd be able to run a
disk farm ... I wonder how that would smell ...

About that capacity bit ... My hubs have a set of indicators that show how
much of capacity is being used, and I don't think I've ever seen 'em at more
than 20% even when I'm running backup over the LAN on two stations. I went
from 10 Mb to 100 Mb ethernet just to facilitate the backups, since my daily
backups took over 24 hours on the 10 MB ethernet. I also wanted to record in
real-time to CD without ruining media, and that, at least with the software
I've got, doesn't work regardless of whether its standard or "fast" ethernet.

Dick