Unix disk images and archiving

From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Mar 26 19:27:57 2002

>As I recall from experience upgrading a Cube from a 68030 to a 68040
>CPU board, NS 1.0a and earlier would not boot on the 68040. They were
>written without knowledge of the future differences between a 68040 and
>a 68030, which are significant at the system stack level. Just something
>to think about.

        Will 2.X boot on an '040? I knew that 1.X and below won't
work on the '040 but thought that it applied to 2.X as well. My main
reason for wanting to archive all the OD distributions that I have is
because it's quite easy to come up with a CD of 3.X but rarely do you
ever hear about someone with the earlier versions and they need to be
archived while there are still a few of the finicky optical drives
still functioning.

        Jeff
--
                           Home of the TRS-80 Model 2000 FAQ File