Unix disk images and archiving

From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl_at_proxima.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 26 14:18:36 2002

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:00:26 -0400
> To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
> From: Jeff Hellige <jhellige_at_earthlink.net>
> Subject: Unix disk images and archiving
> Sender: owner-classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
>
> I've gotten my '040 Cube's optical drive functioning again and now I
> want to take the original distribution optical disks for various
> versions of NeXTstep and make bootable copies of them on more usable
> media, preferably for storage as disk images and as bootable volumes on
> another SCSI disk. I was thinking of using another magneto-optical
> drive, such as my Pinnacle Micro Sierra 1.3GB. I've got enough
> optical disks to do this and the drive is an external MO. Is this
> doable? The images will have to contend with up to 256MB of data and
> must be fully writable to a new physical disk, including all boot
> information.
>
> My '040 Cube is running NeXTstep 3.3 with CAPer, so if I made
> images I could easily move them on to my main Mac for storage. The
> distribution disks in question have NS 0.9, 1.0, 1.0a, 2.0, 2.1, and
> 3.0, as well as a non-bootable disk of 3.2. They've been verified as
> readable and still containing the OS (on my '040 Cube after being
> locked). Due to the unknown quality of the OD in my '030 Cube I
> really don't want to try and boot one on it and I'd like to get them
> to another media before I lose the ability to
> read them altogether.

As I recall from experience upgrading a Cube from a 68030 to a 68040
CPU board, NS 1.0a and earlier would not boot on the 68040. They were
written without knowledge of the future differences between a 68040 and
a 68030, which are significant at the system stack level. Just something
to think about.

This does not prevent user-level software from running, just system stuff.

    carl
--
        carl lowenstein   marine physical lab   u.c. san diego
                                          clowenstein_at_ucsd.edu