QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81 Question)

From: Doc <doc_at_mdrconsult.com>
Date: Sat Mar 30 00:26:17 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Tony Duell wrote:

> > >Anyway, I repair my PCs to component level as well.. Doesn't everybody???
> >
> > No.
>
> OK, does _anybody_ (else)?

  Yes, me, if I can ID the problem and have the tools to do the job [1].
Though if I can easily replace the offending _board_ instead, I'd much
rather do that, I've never been afraid to risk breaking something that
has already failed to perform to my specs.

[1] I was at one time "certified" by Texas Instruments as a solder
operator, but I haven't kept up the skills and have never owned really
good electronic solder tools. So I have a pretty good grasp of what a
job involves, and whether I'm equipped to tackle it.
  That said, given a torch with the right tips, which I have, and silver
or gold solder & flux, I can, in the words of Ron Streu, owner of Broken
Feather Jewelry, "solder a gnat's ass shut, without singeing his wings"
  But that's really a completely unrelated skillset.

        Doc