Soldering and other skills (was Re: QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81 Question))

From: Glen Goodwin <acme_ent_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat Mar 30 00:33:38 2002

> From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>

> Odd... This really is a strange concept for me. My first computer
> (coincidentally a Sinclair) came as a kit and I had to take a soldering
> iron to it before I could use it... And no I couldn't have afforded to
> replace it if I'd made a mess...

> Since then I think I've taken a soldering iron to just about every
> computer I've owned. Including machines that I couldn't replace even if I

> did have the money. And I've never made matters worse.

> Where does this idea come from that a soldering iron will damage a
> computer. Round here it's generally used to improve the performance of a
> machine...

Tony, not everyone has the same skills you do, and that's a good thing.
For some of us a soldering iron is an instrument we use to build or repair
circuitry. For others, it's an implement of destruction.

I'll wager there are plenty of people on this list who have skills you
don't possess. That doesn't make them better than you, just different.

The one thing we all have in common on this list is the desire to preserve
and use old computers, and we all try to use our skills to do what we can
to achieve that goal.

Do you really thinks it's unreasonable for someone to say "I'm not
confident of my soldering skills so I don't want to risk this computer's
health by soldering it?" To me, this is a very rational attitude.

It sure would be boring if we were all the same . . . ;>)

Does any of this make sense to you?

Glen
0/0