Soldering and other skills (was Re: QL-Quality (Was: ZX-81 Question))

From: R. D. Davis <rdd_at_rddavis.org>
Date: Sat Mar 30 12:39:22 2002

Quothe Glen Goodwin, from writings of Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 01:33:38AM -0500:
> Do you really thinks it's unreasonable for someone to say "I'm not
> confident of my soldering skills so I don't want to risk this computer's
> health by soldering it?" To me, this is a very rational attitude.

All that person needs to do is get a soldering iron, solder, some bits
of wire, a scrap circuit board, something to tin the iron with (a
sponge or even a wet paper towel will do), perhaps a clip-on heat
sink, and start practicing. First practice with some wire; create a
few Western Union joints and get the knack creating a good solder
joint. Next, practice unsoldering and soldering some resistors and
capacitors from the circuit board (start with the non-surface mount
ones!) and then some ICs.

Learning to solder properly is not difficult. I was given a soldering
iron and Radio Shack P-Box kits to build as a young child, when I was
in elementary school. Hence, soldering is the sort of thing that even
a young child can learn to do, so there's no excuse for any
computer-collecting adult to not know how to do it. Many computers
can't be restored without the ability to use a soldering iron, and if
one isn't going to repair them so that they'll work again, there's not
much point in collecting them.

--
Copyright (C) 2001 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &