"New" PDP-8

From: Loboyko Steve <sloboyko_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Mar 30 13:49:22 2002

Well, no, it isn't. Because the cost of getting a PCB
made is less than the cost of a good electronics
technician, I think it started to die in the late
80's. And, of course, its practically impossible to WW
BGA chips, etc.

I get stuff from:
Jameco More expensive than they used to be. Still the
best (non-mindbogglingly expensive Augat)sockets, but
have gone up in price a lot.

Marlin Jones (www.mpja.com) Pretty good blank boards.

BG Micro (www.bgmicro.com) Some good stuff!

Digi-key Outrageous prices, but they
have...well...everything, and they deliver.

Unicorn Electronics Good supplier of older chips.

Incredibly, I still use a hand WW tool from Radio
Shack. It's cheap, it works!

New England Wire Prep has the best prices on wire wrap
wire itself. I've found Jameco's to be strangely hard
to work with, never mind expensive.

Ebay - learn to work the search engine and you can get
some real deals no one else has found!

WW sockets are getting more expensive. I won't use
anything but machine tooled pin sockets, which are
even more expensive. Buf going nuts and wasting your
precious free time over a flaky socket is really,
really expensive.