"New" PDP-8

From: Dave McGuire <mcguire_at_neurotica.com>
Date: Sat Mar 30 15:52:07 2002

On March 30, Chuck Dickman wrote:
> Another technique that I have found useful is tack soldering wire-wrap
> wire to solder pads on pad per hole perfboard. The Kynar insulation is
> heat resistant and does not shrink or burn. I usually install solder
> tail sockets and then follow with point to point wiring. Multiple wires
> per pad require some care in soldering (the wire has spring and tends to
> pull away as the solder melts). Quite reliable and efficient for someone
> skilled with a soldering iron.

  I've used this technique for small stuff. It works well. I haven't
tried anything large with it mainly due to lack of opportunity, but
I'm sure I will at some point.

> For an example:
> http://www.chd.dyndns.org/sbc/68k_back_half.jpg
>
> The most dense area is about 3/4 inch thick.

  Hey, that looks like a really cool SBC!

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "...it's leaving me this unpleasant,
St. Petersburg, FL                 damp feeling on my shorts..." -Sridhar