Problems with Ersatz-11 and CDROM

From: Jerome H. Fine <jhfinepw4z_at_compsys.to>
Date: Sun Mar 31 12:06:51 2002

I realize that there are probably very few individuals interested
in this topic, however here goes.

I am running E11 (Ersatz-11) under Windows 98 so that I can
run RT-11. It works great in almost all respects and I can even
live with this one minor problem. However, perhaps someone
might be able to suggest what needs to be fixed.

I have just acquired a CD-RW and been successful is making copies
of my files to a CD-R and over the past week a few test files to a
CD-Erasable. I am using "Nero Burning" as the software which
"writes" to the CD and while I am a bit disappointed that the write
speed to the erasables is only 2x as opposed to 16x for the WORM
media, I can easily live with that and it is not a problem. I have also

discovered how to "DUMP" to the screen any of the 2048 byte blocks
on the CD - in hex of course. And finally, I discovered how to copy
a single file to the CD starting at block zero of the CD media - or at
least I have done so with the erasable media and I hope it can be
done with the WORM media as well. The only thing I have not found
out as yet is how to copy all of the sectors written to a CD back to
a file on the hard drive so that more than one copy can be made to
more blank CDs. I doubt if that will be a problem - I just have not
even bothered as yet to try.

When I copy a single file to the CD using Nero and the "File" menu
o File
  o Burn Image
     o Open
        o Foreign Image Settings - Block Mode 1
                                           - Block Size (2048 Bytes)
                                           - Image Header (0 Bytes)
                                           - Image Trailer (0 Bytes)
           o OK
             o Ignore - during this test, the Image file is not a
multiple of 2048 bytes
                o Write
where each "o" indicates another menu sub-level.
Nero does correctly write the file to the CD as far as I can tell -
except perhaps
for the last few blocks since the size of the image file was not a
multiple of
2048 bytes. Using C:foobar.DSK as the Image File I wrote to the CD,
then
using Nero and "Recorder"/"View Track", I can look at each 2048 byte
block
the CD to verify that the Image File Foobar.DSK was written to the CD
and
under E11 I can give the commands:
MOUNT DU0: CDROME:/RO
MOUNT DU1: C:foobar.DSK/RO
Then under RT-11, I can also give the commands
DIFFERENCES/BINARY/DEVICE DU0: DU1:/START:64./END:last-block-3
which results in a perfect compare. Under RT-11, I can also do a
DUMP/TERM DU1:/ONLY:any block including block numbers between zero and
63.
DUMP/TERM DU0:/ONLY:only block numbers 64. or greater.

NOW!! Here is my problem and the question. Why can't E11 read blocks
zero to 63.
on the CD? I can see them under Nero and DUMP these blocks to the
monitor under
Nero.

I could easily modify the MSCP device driver for RT-11 and automatically
add 64. to
every block number before I try to read it from the CD, but that would
really mean
a new device driver (CDX.SYS seems like a good name). I would also need
decide if that should be just for partition zero (my preference) or all
the 20 or even
21 partitions on the CD. Or perhaps, someone has already discovered the
answer
why Nero can read those blocks under Windows 98, but E11 can't.

By the way, one other solution is to just not use partition zero under
RT-11 under
E11 under W95/W98. Before I could burn my own CDs, that was the way
that
Tim Shoppa set up the RT-11 Freeware CD in any case. However, now that
have been able to actually read blocks zero through 63. from the CD
under Nero,
it seems too soon to give up on E11.

I suspect that a partial answer may be that Nero uses W95/W98 operating
system
calls that are not used by E11 which is essentially a DOS program. If
true, that
obstacle might be overcome if the modification to E11 is simple enough.

PLEASE!!! Can anyone suggest what the difficulty might be?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk