Thanks - was Re: Cool calculator

From: Don Maslin <>
Date: Fri Apr 4 00:13:01 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Joe wrote:

> John,
> What type and brand of batteries were they? Sounds like good ones to avoid!
> Joe

This reminds me that just the other day I saw a calculator in a
thrift, IIRC, that carried the message to remove the batteries
if you were going to run it on the wallwart for more than four
hours to avoid over heating the alkaline cells. Sounds like a
similar problem?
                                                - don

> At 10:44 PM 4/3/03 +0100, you wrote:
> >Keys wrote:
> >> From: "Tony Duell" <>
> >>>Oh yes, it _eats_ batteries. Officially you're supposed to use 4 D-size
> >>>NiCds. It will run of alkaline cells, but it drains them in a few minutes
> >>>(!).
> >
> >Just a quick cautionary tale about batteries; we have a digital camera
> >at the office, a cheap Logitek one. We used it all day, for five days
> >and on the last day, the batteries burst inside the battery compartment.
> >We suddenly had hot, caustic battery electrolyte all over the place!
> >Now, it doesn't really matter with a modern, off-the-shelf gadget, but
> >with an irreplaceable classic, it could be more serious.
> >
> >Do check that the batteries you use don't start to overheat!
> >
> >--
> >John Honniball
> >
Received on Fri Apr 04 2003 - 00:13:01 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:35:42 BST