Looking for a 486 system...

From: James Rice <jrice54_at_charter.net>
Date: Sat Mar 1 05:40:01 2003

When I was working in process controls, we had PLC programming software
from two different companies that would only run on certain processors.
The original SLC-500 series software from Allen-Bradley would not run on
a 486, but would scream on a 286 or 386. As soon as you tried to run it
on a 486 or higher, instant crash, taking DOS totally down to the point
only pushing the reset would reboot it. The PLC-2 series from ICOM
would run on 8088-Pentiums, but faster than a 286 and the comm port
control routines refused to communicate with the system making it
totally useless. There was a MMI package we used, the names elludes me
(it's early) that wouldn't run if installed on a hard drive over 240mb.
It had a space checking routine that couldn't handle hard drives over
240mb, or a processor over a 486DX25. It would crash if either the
drive was too large or if the system was too fast. All of this software
was still current in 1994-98.

As far as finding an older system, except for the 386 that is kind of a
museum piece, we scrapped eveything below 1ghz a couple of months ago.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html