Moving a VAX 6000

From: vance_at_neurotica.com <(vance_at_neurotica.com)>
Date: Mon Mar 3 12:44:48 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Antonio Carlini wrote:

> > Is there any difference between Laserbus and Turbolaser other than
> > clock rate? The AS8200/8400 are supported under NetBSD.
> > Would it be possible to leveredge any of that work for 7000 support?
>
> Some time ago the AS8x00 manuals were up on the COMPAQ website, but
> right now I cannot find them. (Alpha tech manuals always seemed much
> more available than the corresponding VAX and PDP manuals).

I'll see if I can find it. I have the VAX7000 manual, but I don't have
the AS8x00 manual.

> I don't think I have anythong that describes TLSB in any detail, but if
> all that changed was the clock frequency, I wouldn't have expected the
> name to change.

Hmm.

> OTOH, if you have a VAX or DEC 7000, see what happens if you assume (LSB
> == TLSB) ... (I didn't realise that NetBSD knew how to run on the bigger
> Alpha systems, but I've not really kept track as I don't have one!)

Well, I don't have TLSB hardware to experiment with, and I only have the
VAX version, and it only runs VMS, so I don't really know how this
experiment would go. Since I would doubt that any TLSB peripherals would
have VAX drivers, how would I go about testing compatibility? PROM
hardware tests?

Peace... Sridhar