VAXstation 4000/60 /90 question

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 3 22:43:00 2003

>Are you sure it's the disks?

Yes, BUT....

> I have VMS 5.5-2 and it would not install on
>my /90 at all. I don't remember now how it behaved, but it definitely did
>not work. Since I was using real RZ25s and an RRD46, there's no way it
>could've been due to third-party drives.
>
>Either Megan or Allison told me that 5.5-4 was the minimum for a /90. I
>ended up having to get my hands on 7.1 media, which worked just fine.

I think this is the other problem. I was just getting ready to post asking
what the minimum version was. I put a BA353 on the system with a RZ29 in
it. I was able to restore VMS055.B from the V1 Hobbyist CD, but it won't
boot off of the RZ29, and I just realize that the V1 Hobbyist CD uses
V6.1's Standalone backup.

OK, I've got a solution, I just hooked the BA353 and external 4x CD-ROM up
to the VAXstation 4000-60 and the VAX/VMS V5.5 install is running :^)

I just hope the V1 Hobbyist CD has the necessary parts of VAX/VMS to use
DECnet and clustering (can anyone remember if that was part of the base
install for VAX/VMS).

For anyone wondering why on earth I'm trying to get such an old version of
VMS running, I want to cluster the system with a MicroVAX II and I don't
want to have to reload the RD54 (though I might have to in the long run).

                        Zane
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |