DEC RD54 from Maxtor

From: John Willis <ceo_at_coherent-logic.com>
Date: Tue Mar 4 08:41:01 2003

Hi,

The RD54 (Maxtor XT-2190) hard drive is an old ST-506 relic, and is unreliable at best. I have a VAXstation 2000 with an RD54, and
most of the time the drive won't even spin up. When it does, it makes sounds the same as you are describing here. I went in search
for a replacement, but found most resellers are getting $300+ for the RD54, as it is rare. I would reccommend looking for RD53s,
RD52s, etc., or better yet, find yourself a Q-bus SCSI controller. SCSI drives are cheap, and quite more reliable than anything
you'll find in ST-506.

You could also go the DSSI route, if you want nothing to do with *nix, or get a KDA50 and go SDI, if you have the patience to deal
with its many quirks.

You may also be able to use non-DEC ST-506 drives, but be warned: AFAIK, the only VAX that can perform a low-level format on its own
ST-506 drive is the VAXstation/uVAX 2000. It allows you to choose one of the DEC models, or enter your own drive geometry, IIRC.

Hope this helps,
John

| John P. Willis, MCP, SBI, NASA-STD-8739.5 | Coherent Logic Development |
| Chief Executive Officer | "Multiplatform Solutions |
| Coherent Logic Development | for a Multiplatform World" |
| web: http://www.coherent-logic.com/ |
| e-mail: ceo_at_coherent-logic.com |