Monitor screen width adjustment?

From: Davison, Lee <Lee.Davison_at_merlincommunications.com>
Date: Tue Mar 4 10:27:01 2003

> I've got a Sinclair (well, Amstrad really, but it has
> Sinclair printed on the front) monitor here, which
> claims to be a QL monitor. To the extent that it has a
> captive QL-specific signal lead...

> However, the display is too wide, and marginally
> extends past the bezel in both directions; only by
> about 1/4 of one character or so, but just enough
> to be seriously annoying.

> So, is it the case that I cannot adjust the h.size?
> Is it a case of go rooting around looking for the
> component (a resistor, I assume) which sets this,
> and replace it with a pot?

On all the Amsturd monitors I've had the width is fixed
and can not be easily adjusted. It's not a pot or resistor
that you're looking for, it's a coil, usually about 1/2"
to 1" in diameter and with a ferrite I core. If you're
lucky it will have an adjustable core but I have yet
to see one in an Amsturd.

If you find the coil (you can tell because bringing a
metal tool up to it will change the width/centering) you
may get away with glueing a lump of ferrous or non ferrous
metal to it (one will make the picture wider and one
narrower, I can't remember which off hand). If this then
offsets the picture a small permanent magnet can be used,
on the width coil, to pull it back.

Cheers,
        Lee.

http://www.star.net.uk