DEC RD54 from Maxtor

From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini_at_iee.org>
Date: Tue Mar 4 13:43:00 2003

> Avoid the RD53 at all costs... it is the most problematic of
> the RD series drives. The RD54 in my experience is the most
> reliable, and I have a number of them in machines still working.

I never had enough RD53s to form a statistically valid opinion.
Never had a problem with RD54s (and I guess I had maybe
a dozen running in the lab).

> Yes, going to SCSI would be nice, but you can't put one in
> your VAXstation 2000...

Unless you use Wolfgang Moeller's modified ROMs - then I believe
that SCSI will work. (IIRC the modified VS/UV2K ROMs also
incoroporate the >1GB fix ... but it's been a long time since
I looked).

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini             arcarlini_at_iee.org