"Software" is sometimes more than just a random collection of 1s and 0s (was Re: fair price for apple articles)

From: Ethan Dicks <erd_6502_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 6 09:32:00 2003

--- Vintage Computer Festival <vcf_at_siconic.com> wrote:
> Whether it is truly "new" in the box or just includes the original box
> makes little difference, particularly in this case, since having the
> original box for any old computer is not common. It adds a certain
> premium to the machine for those that value such things (as do I, mainly
> since it definitely has historic relevance).

This is especially important if any of the titles are from Infocom. Those
still fetch a price from those trying to "collect the set". I would say
that a Zorkmid could be worth more than the computer it comes with.

Yes, there are copies of "The Lost Treasures of Infocom" for a variety of
platforms still kicking around, but the reproduction quality of the
"feelies" is rather poor. I have a complete set of the regular boxes (for
various CPUs) with a few spares, as well as a couple flavors of TLToI
(Amiga/PeeCee/floppy/CD-ROM), but none of the older, truely masterful
packages (like the mask from "Suspended" or the flying saucer from
"Starcross").

So... in the case of certain titles from certain vendors, don't discount
the value, historic _or_ otherwise, of the software in decent shape. Yes,
the "bits" are critical to running it; yes, many, many titles can be
found on abandonware sites; no, that's not always all that was in the box.

-ethan

P.S. - I still routinely pick up Infocom boxes for a buck or two, even if
some of the materials are missing - reply cards, catalogs, etc., are
frequently discarded. If anyone else on the list is a big Infocom nut
like me, write me off-line if you want to swap titles. I'll see what I
have dups of and for which platform.