Dragon 64

From: tim lindner <tlindner_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu Mar 6 11:02:00 2003

> I know I can use a Tandy Controller, but I think I'll
> need a different Disk Basic ROM for it. If anyone can
> help with that, I'd be obliged...

Lets see...

The Tandy controller/software uses the following:

 Read byte, store byte, halt CPU, un-halt CPU, repeat. NMI when done.

The Dragon controller/software uses the following:

 SYNC, interrupt, read byte, store byte, repeat. NMI when done.

On the Tandy controller DSKREG is $FF40, and the wd179x is mapped
between $FF48-$FF51.

On the Dragon controller DSKREG is $FF48, and the wd179x is mapped
between $FF40-$FF43.

Also the bit patterns for DSKREG are different between the Tandy and
Dragon controllers:

 * ---------------------------------------------------------------
 * DSKREG - the control register
 * CoCo ($ff40) Dragon ($ff48)
 *
 * Bit Bit
 * 7 halt enable flag 7 not used
 * 6 drive select #3 6 not used
 * 5 density (0=single, 1=double) 5 NMI enable flag
 * and NMI enable flag
 * 4 write precompensation 4 write precompensation
 * 3 drive motor activation 3 single density enable
 * 2 drive select #2 2 drive motor activation
 * 1 drive select #1 1 drive select high bit
 * 0 drive select #0 0 drive select low bit

It would take some serious hacking to transform a CoCo FDC into a Dragon
FDC.

--
The ears are too length.
tim lindner                    tlindner_at_ix.netcom.com