Univac $$$ on E-OverPay

From: Adrian Vickers <avickers_at_solutionengineers.com>
Date: Thu Mar 6 13:25:01 2003

At 18:22 06/03/2003, you wrote:

>$11,099.99 was less than the reserve? What on EARTH was the reserve???
>Also, who has that kind of money for a hobby - knowing that it will require
>tremendous effort to bring the system back to life?

That's if it *can* be brought back to life. It may have been kept under
cover, but it's not had a storage life without suffering (judging by the
front of the cabinets).

>It seems to me that the seller either wasn't serious about selling - or is
>quite greedy (the latter, I think).

I personally think the latter - the whole auction seems to have been set up
not to be seriously winnable (72hrs only for payment? Massive reserve?
Buyer to arrange *entire* shipping?). I suspect his "better half" has said
"sell it", and he's had what (on the surface) looks like a good crack at it.

IMHO, if he was serious about selling it, he'd be auctioning it through a
"proper" auction house (ala Christies), and be looking for $100K minimum.
It is, after all, possibly the oldest surviving large electronic computer
on the planet...

--
Cheers, Ade.
Be where it's at, B-Racing!