Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Thu Mar 6 18:07:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tillman, Edward" <Edward.Tillman_at_valero.com>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 2:45 AM
Subject: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

> Hmm... And which "Texas" might that be? Sure isn't here...

I've heard many Texans on the list say something like `I passed up the quad
Xeon box at the salvation army 'cause it only had a half-gig of ram and they
wanted 45 bucks for it.' Ok, maybe not quite like that, but the stuff they
talked about would *never* be seen in a local store, or priced higher than
new. Literally. The local $thrift_store_charities are hell-bent on making
a profit, and it bugs the crap outta me to see them selling junk, for
obscene prices, to poor people who might not know any better. Whoops--
sorry. </rant>

> Most of the Salvation Army, Good Will and other similar stores in San
> Antonio tend to throw away computers and parts. But, you never know when
> that's going to happen, so ya gotta dive their dumpsters daily. Often,
all
> you come away with is the stench. (Why do they always seem to park these
> places next to Class-D or 1-star restaurants?!)

Around here, they just started enforcing the
felony-to-take-it-outta-the-donation-bin laws, and I've a hunch they'd apply
it to the dumpsters too. The city has also started enforcing the
it's-litter-if-it-ain't-in-the-bin laws, it'll be interesting to see what
happens the first time they bust someone for taking somerthing from outside
the bin.

> Ed Tillman

Bob