AMD or Intel 80387 Math Coprocessor IC

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Thu Mar 6 20:38:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric J. Korpela" <korpela_at_ssl.berkeley.edu>
To: <cctech_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: AMD or Intel 80387 Math Coprocessor IC

> Sorry for the delayed response. I've used Linux, OS/2 Warp and Win3.1 on
them.
> Right now it's an OpenDOS machine.

Ok. I was mainly looking to see if it was only kind-of compatable, but it
sounds like any quirks are minor or non-intrusive.

> Turning on internal cache requires ring 0 access. OS/2 required a device
driver at
> startup. Win 3.1 and DOS run a program from autoexec.bat. ISTR that the
linux
> kernel had support built in for the DRX. I don't know about AIX and
Solaris.

Probably need a kernel patch to tweak the bits, same as linux. I wonder if
NetBSD supports the cache...

> There are also later model BIOS versions that turn on the cache at boot.
> don't know if the P70 would have that l turn on the cache at boot. I
don't
> know if a P70 would have an appropriate BIOS.

Probably not, but if my googling has been any indication, there are a goodly
number of drx/drx2 chips installed in P70s-- it's about the fastest chip you
can install without major hardware voodoo or adding a CPU card.

> Eric

Bob