Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Fri Mar 7 20:02:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Fernandez" <fernande_at_internet1.net>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 12:39 AM
Subject: Re: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

> Robert F. Schaefer wrote:
> > felony-to-take-it-outta-the-donation-bin laws,
>
> I'd never take something out of the donation bin..... That would be
> stealing it since the original owner was giving it to the charity.

I don't object to people trading. Just cut out the markup in the middle,
the way I see it. Also, as a general rule, I don't have too much problem
with people taking stuff out either, the assumption being that they need it,
but just plain stealing is wrong.

There was a case here a while back, some dudes saw a couple of guys cleaning
out a bin into a panel truck. They *chased* them until the police caught
up! I probably wouldn't have done that.

> > and I've a hunch they'd apply
> > it to the dumpsters too.
>
> on the other hand.... out of the dumpster is okay since it isn't wanted
> by the original owner or the charity. It also keeps stuff out of
landfills.

Except the dumpster is private property. Theft pure and simple, in the eyes
of the law. Not that I would pass one up...

> The city has also started enforcing the
> > it's-litter-if-it-ain't-in-the-bin laws, it'll be interesting to see
what
> > happens the first time they bust someone for taking something from
outside
> > the bin.
>
> We don't actually have bins anymore around here, that I know of......
> people kept setting them on fire!! I do see things stacked outside of
> the Goodwill store, under the canopy, However.

A lot of places won't allow a bin anymore, but they're still outside the
thrift stores. Stacks outside are what's considered litter and subject to
prosecution, according to the new signs up.

> Chad Fernandez

Bob