Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

From: chris <cb_at_mythtech.net>
Date: Fri Mar 7 21:59:00 2003

>Except the dumpster is private property. Theft pure and simple, in the eyes
>of the law.

I'm not a lawyer, but this might be a regional opinion. I know the cops
around here at least don't consider it private property unless A: the
owner of the land chooses to press charges, or B: the property is some
how restricted access or not normally public access.

So for example, the dumpster I raided the other day, it was in the
parking lot of a publically accessable and open building (a gym, a
realtor, and a weight clinic), so the police wouldn't consider that
private property unless the owner of the land (unlikely to be any of the
tenants) choose to press tresspassing charges.

But, the dumpster behind the local good will, probably WOULD be
considered that by the police, because it is in the back parking lot of
the building (which is not open for customer parking, its only available
to the public when they are dropping things off), AND, the entire lot is
chained off when the store is closed.

And of course curbside garbage is always open season around here. The
only time the cops hassle you on that is if you make a mess. But good
garbage pickers always make sure they clean up after themselves.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>