Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

From: Robert F. Schaefer <rschaefe_at_gcfn.org>
Date: Sat Mar 8 07:12:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "chris" <cb_at_mythtech.net>
To: <cctalk_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

> >Except the dumpster is private property. Theft pure and simple, in the
eyes
> >of the law.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but this might be a regional opinion. I know the cops
> around here at least don't consider it private property unless A: the
> owner of the land chooses to press charges, or B: the property is some
> how restricted access or not normally public access.

Cops have a lot of leeway in what they enforce, for good or for bad
(sometimes common sense _does_ prevail!), but ISTR the owner always has the
option of pressing charges. The cops might not care if they drove past and
saw you, probably wouldn't as it's a frequent passtime of many, but if the
owners called 'em...

> So for example, the dumpster I raided the other day, it was in the
> parking lot of a publically accessable and open building (a gym, a
> realtor, and a weight clinic), so the police wouldn't consider that
> private property unless the owner of the land (unlikely to be any of the
> tenants) choose to press tresspassing charges.

I'd say `wouldn't feel the need ot enforce the law' as opposed to `wouldn't
consider that private property'. If you're drunk and making a mess,
tresspassing would probably come up even if nobody on site complained.

> But, the dumpster behind the local good will, probably WOULD be
> considered that by the police, because it is in the back parking lot of
> the building (which is not open for customer parking, its only available
> to the public when they are dropping things off), AND, the entire lot is
> chained off when the store is closed.

Definintly have to be an in-and-out job here!

> And of course curbside garbage is always open season around here. The
> only time the cops hassle you on that is if you make a mess. But good
> garbage pickers always make sure they clean up after themselves.

Yah. I live close to OSU campus, in the fall when the kids move out, the
pickings are *fabulous*. Peaseas, small electronics, clothes, leather
coats, RK05s (honest, a pair of 'em!), all kinds of good stuff. We take
everything that isn't broken, ripped or damaged, and whatever we don't end
up wanting goes to goodwill.

> -chris

Bob