New To List and PDP8 Question

From: Lawrence LeMay <lemay_at_cs.umn.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 8 18:52:00 2003

> Building the PDP8 has really piqued my interest in the real thing. I've
> collected bits and pieces for awhile now and have finally obtained a 4K core
> stack - although it is not in great shape (any help in locating a better one
> would be greatly appreciated).

I usually just buy the core stacks from DEC resellers. You pay a bit
more, but you generally get something that has been cared for and
works.

> Anyway my question to you PDP8 folks out there
> is this - I have the following pieces: front panel, M8300, M8310, M8320,
> M8330, M837, M8650, G104, G227. I also have a 20 slot omnibus backplane from a
> PDP8a. My guess is that I should be able to see some action on the front panel
> with just the first four modules present (i.e. no memory). Am I correct? I
> don't care at first if I can't read or write to memory. I just want to check
> out some of the control functions with as little hardware as possible.

Are you saying you have a case/power supply and omnibus? Or are you
trying to cobble something together without case/ps?

One of the main problems I had with my first 8/E, was that most of the front
panel bulbs were burned out. Probably because once a few burn out, the voltage
rises on the others causing them to burn out faster.

> By the way, my front panel has mostly light blue and dark blue switch handles.
> Anyone seen this before?

Yes. Did you buy it on ebay about a year ago?

-Lawrence LeMay