Collecting silicon wafers

From: Steve Jones <classiccmp_at_crash.com>
Date: Sun Mar 9 11:37:01 2003

Dave Wilson writes:
.
> My interest is in collecting whole, undiced silicon wafers. These
> are much more accessible for research and the interest does not
> conflict with those of other people.

I think they're interesting, and have considered picking some up
when I've seen them. Of course I've only seen them on eBay, and
living near Boston I guess my only local source might conceivably
be the DEC fab out in (I think) Hudson that got sold to Intel when
Palmer gutted the company. Oops, didn't mean to start that thread
again! ;^)

> Are there other interested people out there? If this site is not
> the best for this sort of discussion can you recommend a better
> one?

I haven't run across anyone systematically collecting wafers. The
main question I'd have is, where's the supply? If there's not a
large supply of available wafers, how many collectors can there be?

Having opened my mouth and said that, someone will probably tell
me that fab-rich places in Arizona, California, Oregon, and Texas
are using them as wall decorations or something...